365 photo challenge

12-2-11

Lights at Fish Sails

Lights at Fish Sails

A bit of a change from my usual photos today. I went to the gorgeous, newly revamped and renovated beach side restaurant in Warrnambool, called Fish Sails. I was very impressed by this funky lighting and thought it might make a nice photo for today. I’m off to Darwin this morning, and plan on visiting Groote Eylandt, where my daughter has just started teaching in an aboriginal community. My photos for the next two weeks, will be from the Northern Territory of Australia. I may not be able to spend time commenting on your lovely photos, but when I can, I certainly will.

11-2-11

Happy birthday Scarlett

Happy birthday Scarlett

I had a little bit of fun using www.fotoflexer.com which is an online editing program.

11-2-11

Happy Birthday Scarlett

Happy Birthday Scarlett

I recently attended the first birthday of a beautiful little girl named Scarlett. Her mum was very anxious about cooking “the cake” but I think from the look of this gorgeous array of colorful little patty cakes, you can see that she had nothing to worry about. I posted this photo today because it is such a happy photo and it is a Friday – the end of a working week. Time to party!

10-2-11

Banana Passionfruit flower

Banana Passionfruit flower

As far as I know, this is a banana passion fruit flower, but the images on the web, do not match my flower, so if there is a passionfruit expert out there on the 365 network, I’m happy to be corrected. I know that this vine produces long, narrow fruit, with basically nothing inside it. Lovely to look at, but that’s where it ends. Quite the floosy really – all pretty and teasing, but no substance to her.

9-2-11

Dinner time

Dinner time

I went for a walk after dinner last night, of course with my camera, and I happened upon a “host” of sparrows feasting on the oats that I had just fed to my deer. As the sparrows usually scatter when I come anywhere near them, I stood really still, a fair distance from them and zoomed in with my nifty little panasonic lumix TZ10. I was delighted to discover this parent sparrow feeding a fledgling, when I enlarged the photo on my computer. I thought it was a lovely little surprise and something you don’t regularly see in the wild (despite the dodgy focus).

8-2-11

No rain clouds in sight

No rain clouds in sight

I thought this was a beautiful mix of colours at the end of a lovely day. The clouds were so fluffy and white and the sky was such a glorious blue.

7-2-11

Bee right back

Bee right back

This little bee is head down, bum up, intent on gathering some pollen from one of the many red flowering gums in our garden. This gorgeous tree is blooming all across Victoria at the moment and many towns, like mine, have planted them either side of the main road as people drive through. We also have cream flowering gums intermingled with the red ones, and you can imagine the magnificent show.

6-2-11

Mickey Bourke's Hotel - Koroit

Mickey Bourke's Hotel - Koroit

This hotel was established in 1853, which in Australia’s young life, is quite historical. The Koroit Hotel – fondly known as Mickey Bourke`s – was established in 1853 by Scottish carpenter and pioneer David McLaws, who built a two-storey bluestone hotel with large stables erected at the rear. In 1877, the new owner Robert Bruce, altered the exterior of the hotel by rendering the bluestone walls with plaster and rough cast.In the early part of the 20th Century the subsequent owner, JF Duffus – also a state parliamentarian – commissioned a leading architect to remodel the exterior in a spectacular Art Noveau style, known as the “Menzies of the Bush”.http://www.koroit.org.au/page/13.html
This hotel is fondly referred to as Mickey Bourke’s and has quite a reputation within the local area, as a great place to meet and greet and as somewhere to have a lovely meal and a drink.

5-2-11

A gentle farewell to another lovely day

A gentle farewell to another lovely day

“At sunset, nature is painting for us… day after day… pictures of infinite beauty.”
John Ruskiin
The view at the end of the day, at the back of our property. Only since beginning on the 365, have I really started to “see” and appreciate, all these things around me. In the distance you can see large rolls of silage sitting in the paddock. The process involves machinery rolling the hay into large rolls and mechanically wrapping it in green plastic, so that the green, high moisture hay, can ferment.It is then fed to ruminants like cows and sheep. One of the early problems with wrapping these large rolls of hay in plastic, was that the land fills were filling up with used plastic. This plastic can now be recycled in Melbourne and made into a timber replacement plywood sheeting alternative called Tuffboard.

4-2-11

Dining delicately

Dining delicately

“It has been the national emblem of Scotland for more than 700 years. Legend has it, that long ago the Danes invaded Scotland by surprise, but wearing no shoes and in the dark, one of them stepped on a thistle and his loud cry of pain alerted the Scots and prevented a terrible slaughter. The plant that saved them became known as “The Guardian Thistle”. http://www.scotlandinargentina.com.ar/the_thistle.htm

Once again, my eagle eyed spotter managed to point out this lovely duo dining delicately on the pollen of the scotch thistle. I love the above story but I do wonder why the brave Dane was shoeless whilst attacking the fearless Scots. It invokes quite a funny image in my mind.

3-2-11

Amazing Amazon

Amazing Amazon

This is a Blue Fronted Amazon, found in south America. His colours are magnificent. The yellow and reds on his shoulders are glorious.Thinking this morning, of all our family and friends in far north Queensland as they wake to the devastation of Cyclone Yasi. Thinking also of my new 365 friends living in Far North Queensland and hoping they are all safe and well.

2-2-11

Flutterbies

Flutterbies

Went walking last evening and my eagle eyed spotter pointed out this group of butterflies congregating together in the grass. This photo shows only a small portion of the gathering and it sent me on a bit of a sleuth to discover the collective noun for a “group” of butterflies. Turns out that I think anything might go. On one website I found; flight, flutter, kaleidoscope, rabble and rainbow, and on another website I found rabble and swarm. My personal favourite was a flutter of butterflies as one of my children used to call them Flutterbies. So, here is my flutter of butterflies. Say it out loud – it’s fun.(Best viewed under magnifying glass up the top)

1-2-11

Crowning Glory

Crowning Glory

The top of our Blue and Gold Macaw’s head – isn’t it magnificent? Started back at work today after a luxurious 6 week break. Trying hard to play the glad game and tick off all the positives about a return to work so I posted this pretty photo to help me stay chirpy and upbeat. The other option was a great macro I have of a dirty old fly……. Tough choice – LOL

31-1-11

Have you done something different with your hair?

This is a pair of New Guinea Eclectus parrots.Eclectus comes from the word eclectic because of the colouration of the male & female. When people initially see these birds, they assume they are different species because the birds are so different. These birds are dimorphic, meaning that they are the same species, yet different colours. The hen is red and blue and the cock bird is green and red. The mature cock bird has an orange beak.

“Eclectus Parrots are fairly common in their natural habitat which is the tropical rainforests, in the monsoon forests of northern Cape York Peninsula, New Guinea, Solomon Islands and the Indonesian Archipelago. They nest high up in the large rainforest trees and normally deep into the tree trunk. Observers have recorded groups of birds consisting of dominant pairs, each dominant pair of breeding birds have helpers which are offspring from previous years or unpaired adult birds that come and assist in the rearing of young. The breeding pair more, or less, breed continually all-year-round.” http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/articles/art_037.htm

30-1-11

Here's looking at you kid.....

Here's looking at you kid.....

I love that you can see these tiny little eyes – and the speckly face. It’s nothing the naked eye sees readily. I picked a bunch of roses and brought them inside out of the heat, and found this little stowaway. He was quite obliging sitting still.

29-1-11

See how much I've grown in just a week

See how much I've grown in just a week

This is the little Major Mitchell Cockatoo who featured in my photo on the 21st-1-11. You can see the big difference in the feathers. His little crest is standing on end because he was a little bit flustered about having to have his photo taken again. The crest on the adults is a magnificent mix of different hues of oranges, yellows and whites. Only mother nature would think to combine pink and orange and get away with it.

28-1-11

A rose by any other name......

A rose by any other name......

“What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;”
William Shakespeare
The meaning? What matters is what something is, not what it is called.
I couldn’t resist using this pretty pink rose today. Because we have had such a wet summer here in Australia, I have roses in my garden in January. The garden bore water is generally too acidic to use on my plants, so they tend to wither during summer. Not this year – and this is one of my many gorgeous roses this year.

27-1-11

Stretching my wings

Stretching my wings

Our baby blue and gold macaw thought my arm was a good place to test out the wing span. Try as I might to get him to do this with a great background, this is the best I have been able to capture so far. He flaps like this regularly,to exercise his wings. He gets quite puffed by the end of a good workout. Flying always looks so graceful and effortless when you see the birds in the sky. You forget that they are working hard to keep those wings moving.

26-1-11

Australia Day

Australia Day

Not quite an iconic Australian bird, but Australian nonetheless. This is a Regent Parrot, sometimes referred to as a smoker. They can be found in south-western New South Wales, north-western Victoria and the Murray Mallee region of South Australia. They can also be found in Western Australia. They are a beautiful bird and I have added it today in honour of Australia day.

25-1-11

Take me to your leader

Take me to your leader

This is my first macro shot with my brand new Panasonic Lumix TZ10 “with the hand painted periwinkles” (Sorry if you don’t watch Keeping up Appearances, that will mean nothing to you.)
I found this little grasshopper resting on a day lily. He was obliging enough to sit very still for me. I think he knew I was a first time macro user. Anyway, I think he looks like he has one of those alien shaped heads – hence the caption.

24-1-11

Ocean Dreaming

Ocean Dreaming

“To those who can dream, there is no such place as faraway.”
I love this photo of my daughter gazing out across the ocean. The photo was taken at McGennans Car Park Lookout, in Warrnambool. With the whole world as her oyster, it makes me wonder what she was dreaming of as she watched the waves breaking and running along the sand.

23-1-11

Breakfast at Fish Sails - Warrnambool, Australia

After attending a lovely 21st birthday in Warrnambool, Australia, last night, I took my mother and my daughter to the brand new Fish Sails restaurant for breakfast. It was a lovely thing to do together on a sunny Sunday morning.

22-1-11

Mmmmm today's puzzle is tricky

Mmmmm today's puzzle is tricky

Our baby blue and gold macaw found today’s puzzle a little trickier than normal. He did have to ask for some help, but he got it out in the end.

21-1-11

Bad Hair Day

Bad Hair Day

This is a 7 week old Major Mitchell Cockatoo which we are hand rearing. Do yourself a favour by googling this cockatoo and see how beautiful this little guy is going to be in a few weeks time.

20-1-11

Lazy Summer Days

Lazy Summer Days

We discovered that this tranquil courtyard at the Hamilton Base Hospital (Victoria, Australia) was a lovely warm spot to do some waiting. The whole courtyard is built around a gorgeous water fountain which boasts pretty pink and white lillies. The garden is purple and white – mostly agapanthus and white roses. Comfortable wooden garden benches, paved courtyard, shady old trees and the warm morning sun, completed the tranquility.

“Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.”
~ John Lubbock

19-1-11

Tangled

Tangled

No, not the movie – crazy electrical wiring in Beijing. Everywhere we went in China, we saw this sort of crazy wiring – even wires hanging low enough on the street for you to be able to touch or duck under! The Chinese people just accepted it as the norm. It was only we Westerners who found it a little “tangled”.

18-1-11

Room with a View

Room with a View

This little joey (baby wallaby) was enjoying the view without expending any energy herself. No tickets, no queues and a first class seat every time.

You can see part of her tail poking out of the pouch as well. The little joeys get a free ride as often as possible, for as long as possible and sometimes when you watch them scrambling back into the pouch, you just wonder how on earth they manage to squish back in. Eventually the mother (called a doe or a jill) puts a stop to the free ride and refuses to let the joey back in. Joeys spend 8-9 months in the pouch.

17-1-11

So, where is this really cool place?

So, where is this really cool place?

This is Sarabi, one of my 3 beautiful “girls”, all named after the characters from my favourite stage show, The Lion King. I have Nala, Sarabi and Rafiki. They all have such lovely soft noses and beautiful silky tongues. They also have the longest eye lashes ever. Their ears swivel about 180 degrees, on the look out for tigers – of which there is a distinct shortage at my house. Still, best to be prepared I guess….

16-1-11

Sharing is caring

Sharing is caring

One of my gorgeous fallow deer is happy to share the grain with a northern swamp wallaby. The deer are sporting their beautiful summer coats at this time of year. As autumn approaches, they lose their spots and the silky fine coat gives way to a much coarser, warmer coat. The deer are gentle, peaceful creatures and I enjoy spending time sitting on a log in the paddock as they nibble my shoe laces and gently nudge my hands and legs.

15-1-11

Awesome cloud bank

Awesome cloud bank

I drove over a rise on a street in Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia, this morning, to see this awesome cloud bank which appeared to be like a belt between the ocean and the skyline. It was grey in colour and actually looked like a mountain range. It was breathtaking.

14-1-11

Pandora Bracelet

Pandora Bracelet

I was lucky enough to receive some new red beads for my beautiful Pandora Bracelet – for Christmas.

13-1-11

Peaceful meditation

Peaceful meditation

This is a peaceful little nook in my rainforest garden.

12-1-11

Green Winged Macaw

Green Winged Macaw

A young hen green winged macaw, was quite non plussed when I went in with my camera. She was enjoying a freshly picked branch on a humid, summer day.

11-1-11

Catching up with friends

Catching up with friends

This 3 month old, hand reared baby blue and gold macaw, enjoyed some time for a scratch and a play when a friend dropped in for a coffee.

10-1-11

After the rain

After the rain

Two little flowers enjoying the rain after a couple of very hot, windy days.

9-1-11

Day Lillies

Day Lillies

These are some beautiful day lillies which flower regularly in my garden. I have them in yellow as well.

8-1-11

From the rainforest into the sunshine

From the rainforest into the sunshine

This is the view our little planted aviary birds would see as they hop along looking for seed. This photo was taken a day after a challenging 38 degree day with a hot north wind. We had a light sprinkling of rain and the planted aviary was a cool place to be.

7-1-11

Christmas Lily

Christmas Lily

My Christmas lily is a little late flowering this year – maybe a strange weather pattern, or maybe it just wanted a change. Whatever the reason, it is beautiful nonetheless.

6-1-11

Work? yeah, yeah, eventually.

Work? yeah, yeah, eventually.

I’m cheating a little on today’s photo – I didn’t take it today. I took it on 21st September 2010 whilst I was in China with a school group. I included it in the photo challenge because it is a gorgeous photo. It’s a little like I felt after our whirlwind 2 week visit to the amazing country and I thought a few of you might enjoy the photo as well.

5-1-11

Dear Dorothy, I found your shoes

Dear Dorothy, I found your shoes

I went to a gorgeous shoe shop in Port Fairy, australia, this morning and found these beautiful red shoes. I am going to tap them together shortly, and see where I end up.

4-1-11

A fairy at the bottom of the garden

A fairy at the bottom of the garden

I took this photo during lunch with some wonderful friends today. Thank you to our host Britt, for providing a perfect venue, a delicious picnic lunch and a gorgeous day. Wasn’t I lucky to find this sweet little fairy at the bottom of Britt’s garden?

3-1-11

Summer activities in the country

Summer activities in the country

These bales of hay made excellent cricket wickets on Christmas day for my nieces and nephews. We have this paddock cut and baled each summer to reduce the risk of fire.

2-1-11

My own Secret Garden

My own Secret Garden

This corner of our garden used to be a tangled, overgrown area. We have converted it into a lush little oasis into which we retreat after work each night, or on weekends, to relax, read or share a drink with family and friends.
1-1-11

A baby blue and gold macaw, catching up on the news on New Year's Day, 2011

Well, here I go. I have signed on for the 365 photo challenge Stay tuned – and see how I go.

4 thoughts on “365 photo challenge

1. Yes rest assured Jo, this little corner of the garden is used often and with much pleasure. I should have taken a photo of the tangled mess that used to be there. Thanks for commenting and for tweeting about the 365 challenge. I think it’s going to be lots of fun.

2. Pingback: Down Memory Lane – a blogging challenge | Technoliteracy

3. Pingback: 20 AUGUST 2011 :Weekly Photo Challenge: Flowers. « 2011 – ON THE BENCH